Sunday, April 8, 2012

Seek Your Own Approval

Happy Easter! This is the season of renewal both Spiritually through the death and resurrection of Christ, and physically as heralded by the reappearance of the flowers and greenery of Spring. It's only appropriate that we incorporate some of that renewal into our own lives. Wayne (my former husband) told me I need to write a book on reinventing oneself, because I've done it, I've lived it, and made it work. That actually sounds like a good idea, because I've been trying to find something to write about. I've decided to start out slowly with this new blog, called Fearless Reinventions.

I appreciated his suggestion, because I think one of my best traits is my resilience. Rolling with the flow is my specialty. I've never been afraid to put myself out there and try something new. I've done things that would make other people's hair stand on end. Heck, I've made my hair stand on end, literally (bad perm!). To those who seek the safety and security of a regular paycheck, the choices I've made professionally would be unthinkable. To say I'm fearless would be wrong because I have plenty of fears, but I just don't let them keep me from trying a new way of approaching life. To be able to help others to face their fears and move past their personal and career impasses with a spirit of adventure and excitement would be a dream come true for me. Are you ready to reinvent a life for yourself without fear or boundaries (self-imposed or foisted on you by those around you)? Then let's get started!

Most of the time, change is threatening, not just to the person changing, but to everyone around them. Perhaps someone else's comfort level depends on you staying just as you are. Perhaps your partner will feel insecure if you lose 50 pounds and dye your hair blonde, or if you start working out and regain that 6-pack you had in your 20s. It won't be taken for granted that nobody will find you attractive anymore. Maybe going back to school and learning a new skill will mean you have less in common with your friends, or that new job will put you in contact with a whole new set of friends.

There are as many reasons to keep someone from changing as there are reasons why a person should change. But the bottom line is that it's your life and you have only one shot at finding your bliss. Once this day is gone, that's one less chance you'll have to reach out for what will fulfill you. Do you want to live your one life according to someone else's idea of what should make you happy, or your idea of joy? Make a vow to yourself that yesterday was the last wasted day you spend wishing you could live your life in a way that is satisfying. Start today to reach for what is going to make your life meaningful. Seek your own approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment